10 Spring Cleaning Tips for a Cleaner & More Efficient Home
They don’t call it spring cleaning for no reason. After a long winter and the onset of a new season, it’s important to complete some cleaning and maintenance tasks for your home. Doing so will improve your comfort and indoor air quality, save you energy, and prevent expensive repairs.
NJ Spring Cleaning and Maintenance Guide
- Wipe down your bathroom and kitchen every day. By simply taking a rag and wiping down your counters, sink, and shower after every use, you’ll always have a glistening bathroom and kitchen. Weekly wipings are recommended for other hard surfaces (tables, counters, shelves, floors, etc.) in your home.
- Try cleaning your windows (and other glass items) with coffee filters for a streak-free clean. Use regular glass-cleaner, but instead of wiping it with a towel, use large coffee filters instead.
- Treat stains as soon as you notice them.
- Do NOT mix cleaning agents, especially ammonia and bleach.
- Vinegar is a great cleaning agent and can help you keep your condensate drain line clean. To maintain your condensate drain line, pour about 6 ounces of vinegar down your drain every 2-4 months. To clean counters, tables, and other areas of your home, use a solution of one part vinegar and three parts water.
- To deodorize your garbage disposal and keep it clean and sharp, grind a couple lemon wedges and ice cubes as needed. Lime, orange, grapefruit, and other citrus items also work well.
- You can clean unsightly scuff marks on vinyl and wood flooring and walls with a clean tennis ball. Isopropyl alcohol also removes heel marks, but test a little bit first, as there is a possibility of staining.
- If you have permanent markers stains anywhere, try regular vegetable oil first. It will remove marker stains from most surfaces, including your skin.
- You should be dusting regularly to control allergy symptoms in your home. Some tips include using microfiber cloths, HEPA vacuums, air purifiers/cleaners, hardwood flooring, and banning shoes in the home.
- While you are dusting, turn on your air conditioning system so your airborne dust particles can get caught in your air filter rather than resettling on your floor and furniture. Consider upgrading your air filter for better air filtration.
For more secret spring cleaning tips, consult these guides:
Don’t forget about air conditioning maintenance!
Click on the articles below to get your home’s plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems ready for the summer weather ahead:
- SPRING MAINTENANCE TIPS FOR A SAFE, ENERGY-EFFICIENT HOME
- DIY AIR CONDITIONING MAINTENANCE FOR SUMMER
- WATER HEATER MAINTENANCE ESSENTIALS
- SERVICE YOUR AIR CONDITIONER IN SPRING
- ELECTRICAL SAFETY TIPS
- BENEFITS OF OUTDOOR LIGHTING
Call the experts at Gold Medal Service for more information on spring maintenance and cleaning.
To help keep you safe and save you money, Gold Medal’s Total Care Club ensures that your electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems are completely safe and up-to-date.
Give us a call today at 1-877-803-0511 or schedule an appointment online if you have any questions.