How to Lower Water Heater Energy Bills
Last week, we blogged about the U.S. Dept. of Energy's New Water Heater Regulations, which will affect all of New Jersey, as well as other northern states. New regulations take effect in April, 2015 and will result in more expensive water heater equipment and installation. We highly recommend getting all of your repairs, installations, and maintenance out of the way before the new law is implemented.
This week, we will let you in on a couple insider secrets for how to lower water heater bills, the second largest home energy expense (up to 25% of total energy costs). Before you start, make sure you consult the owner's manual and take proper safety precautions, like shutting off the power.
- Fix leaks and inspect unit for corrosion. There is a sacrificial anode inside of hot water heaters to prevent rust and corrosion. Have a professional inspect and maintain your heater every year.
- Check the pressure release valve and drain your water heater once a year. Learn how with our Water Heater Mainenance Essentials!
- You will see instant savings if you lower your water heater temperature from 140 degrees to 120 degrees. It should be located near the bottom of the tank by the gas valve. The water will still be plenty hot, but your water heater won't have to work as hard.\
- Install low-flow fixtures and wash laundry in cold water.
- Add insulation to your water heater to keep heat from escaping.
- Install heat traps for the hot and cold water pipes from your water heater.
- If you need help, call in a professional.
To lower water heater energy bills for long-term savings, consider replacing your old water heater for a more efficent one. If your water heater is over ten years old, it probably needs to be replaced anyway.
We service, replace, and install water heaters of all kinds:
- Gas water heaters
- Electric water heaters
- Tankless water heaters
- Hybrid electric heat pump water heater
- Instant hot water (at any faucet)
If you have further questions about how the U.S. Department of Energy's new water heater regulations will affect you or how to lower water heater energy bills, give us a call. We'll be glad to answer any of your questions!
To schedule water heater maintenance/repair or installation, contact the professionals at Gold Medal Service. We'll be there with our same day service guarantee to fix your hot water heater.