- Solutions for every budget
- Mold remediation services available
- Financing available
- Top-of-the-line waterproofing technologies
- Drying and structural repairs
- Free in-home consultations
Got Mold? 12 Mold Prevention Solutions
Mold isn’t just ugly and smelly, it’s also a huge health risk. Your allergies and sickness could be caused by mold spores and the damp conditions that breed mold. While normally mold isn’t a problem, when it is found indoors, it can cause many health problems, including allergies, asthma, respiratory problems, and even death.
Harmful Effects of Mold
Mold adversely impacts indoor air quality and can grow virtually anywhere (wood, plastic, paper, carpet, food, etc). Other adverse health effects include:
- allergies, ranging from moderate to severe
- itchy eyes, skin problems, wheezing, and irritation of the nose, throat, and lungs
- people with existing respiratory issues are more susceptible to the health effects of mold
The effects of mold depend on a variety of factors. The longer someone is exposed, the worse the effects are. Health status, age, mold amounts, and length of exposure all play a role.
For more information on how mold affects people, read the EPA’s Mold and Health guide.
The best way to solve your mold problem is to remove the mold and eliminate moisture sources. Usually, this entails some form of basement waterproofing.
If you detect mold in your home, get rid of it as soon as you can:
One of the biggest sources of mold is a wet and damp basement. Even small amounts of dampness can lead to mold growth. If you don’t attack the problem early, you could be facing thousands of dollars in mold removal and remediation services.
If you don’t want a costly and dangerous mold problem, the best thing to do is keep your home dry and free of excess moisture.
12 Mold Prevention Solutions
Decrease the chance of mold growth by lowering the humidity levels in your home to 30-60%. You can accomplish this by:
- Using your ventilation fans in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Installing a whole-home humidification system or a plug-in dehumidifier.
- Increasing ventilation, especially in your attic and basement. Ask your HVAC contractor to inspect your home’s ventilation, especially for your gas appliances, which can leak carbon monoxide if it doesn’t get enough oxygen.
- Running your HVAC system (furnace and air conditioners will naturally regulate your home’s humidity levels) and dehumidifiers (if you have them).
- Opening a window or two when using your bathroom, kitchen, or hanging clothes out to dry.
- Cleaning any wet materials within 24 hours.
- Improving your insulation levels to prevent condensation on cold surfaces.
- Cleaning and repairing your gutters, getting rid of foundation leaks, installing a basement sump pump, and other basement waterproofing solutions.
- Avoiding carpeting and rugs in areas with continual moisture problems, such as areas with frequent leaks or condensation.
- Investigating any leaks and fixing them immediately.
- Buying a moisture detector.
- Inspecting your water meter for plumbing leaks.
Removing the existing mold won’t solve your problem, it will only delay it. It is very important that you find the source of the problem and have it fixed.
Possible Mold Sources:
- inside air ducts
- around the kitchen and bathroom, under sinks
- in or behind dishwashers, refrigerators, and clothes washing machines
- around bathroom and shower plumbing fixtures
- in and around your HVAC system, especially the evaporator coils
There are many different solutions for preventing moisture from entering the home in the first place, including professional solutions. We offer many waterproofing solutions to combat the adverse effects of mold and water damage.
Mold can exist in your home without you even knowing. Left untreated, mold growth can be a serious health issue, sometimes resulting in death. Extended exposure to black mold can result in internal bleeding and death. Now is the time to check your home for mold and other moisture-related issues.
Call Gold Medal Service today for your FREE mold remediation consultation. Our professional technicians meet the strict training requirements and can provide custom solutions for your home and family.
To schedule your free mold and waterproofing consultation with Gold Medal Service, rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau, schedule an appointment online or give us a call at 1-877-803-0511.