Easy Ways to Cut Cooling Costs
August is the hottest part of the summer, which means you’re probably trying every play in the book to keep cool without having to break the bank. Here are some helpful tips to cut your cooling costs:
- Use energy efficient fans and plenty of them. Run your fans counter-clockwise during the summer.
- For extra cooling, plant trees or shuddery on the east and west sides of your home.
- Avoid the stove and oven, as it only makes your house hotter. On a sizzling hot day, consider cold sandwiches or a salad.
- Unplug any unused electronics. It’s tempting to leave computers and consoles on for faster startups, but turn them off if you want a cooler home.
- If buying a new air conditioner, be sure that it’s properly sized. Get assistance from an energy auditor or air conditioning contractor.
- Maintain your A/C to maximize efficiency.
- Change your air filters regularly. Neglecting to do so will only make your A/C work harder and longer.
- Turn off your A/C if you’re going to be gone for more than an hour.