Death by Indoor Air: 15 Ways to Fight Back
So, what exactly contributes to poor indoor air quality?
Can I improve my indoor air quality? If so, how?
- Clean regularly to reduce allergens and irritants. We recommend using non-toxic, non-aerosol, unscented cleaning supplies.
- Store household cleaners, paint, and other chemical products in tightly sealed containers and safely store outdoors or in basement.
- Regularly wash stuffed toys and linens.
- Try to vacuum once a week with HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Arresting) filters for best results.
- As the weather cools off, it's tempting to let your pets inside. Be sure to groom your pets regularly to reduce fur and dander.
- Let some fresh air in! Open windows when cleaning, cooking and crafting (especially painting).
- Make sure your home is properly insulated. Gold Medal can calculate how much ventilation you need – if you have too little or too much. (Some homes are too insulated and as a result, trap airborne pollutants inside with no way to escape.)
- If remodeling, opt for hard surface floors as opposed to carpet for easier cleaning. Consider blinds instead of curtains to reduce dust buildup. After any extensive remodeling, make sure you have a professional HVAC technician inspect the area for proper ventilation and make sure your system is balanced.
- You may want to look into purchasing air purifiers. There are a variety of models, ranging from small to large. A Lennox air purification system removes and destroys 50% of household chemical vapors and odors within 24 hours. Gold Medal is a Premier Dave Lennox Dealer.
- Change the air filters in your heating and cooling systems regularly, every 30-60 days.
- Minimize moisture by keeping the humidity level in your home at less than 50 percent. Dehumidifiers may do your home well.
- Purchase only non-toxic candles and do not allow smoking indoors.
- Leave all shoes at the door to reduce the tracking in of dirt. Or use shoecovers, like all of our technicians do.
- Call Gold Medal about Lennox Touchscreen Thermostats to regulate moisture leveles and temperatures to improve indoor air quality and enhance comfort.
- To have air filtration and purification capabilities integrated into one system, consider purchasing the Lennox Signature Collection PureAir air purification system is the only indoor air quality product that removes all three sources of contaminants (particles, bioaerosols and odors).
Here is a great video on how to improve your indoor air quality, courtesy of Lennox Residential:
Have an emergency? We can handle it, no problem! Our 24/7 call center is there for you (at no extra cost).